- Our operations
Gove Operations bauxite mine and alumina refinery is located 650km east of Darwin in north east Arnhem Land on Aboriginal land. The operation is situated on extensive deposits of high grade bauxite, a burnished red ore with high aluminium oxide content. Gove produces more than 8.2 million tonnes per annum of bauxite.
In November 2013, Rio Tinto announced it would suspend alumina production at Gove in 2014 and focus on its bauxite operations. Key factors influencing the decision were continuing low alumina prices, a high exchange rate and substantial after-tax losses for the refinery despite considerable efforts to improve refinery performance during that time.
The phased suspension of alumina production occurred between February and July 2014. The refinery will move to care and maintenance from August to ensure it is prepared for a potential re-start in the future.
Rio Tinto Alcan is responsible for funding town services and managing the town of Nhulunbuy, which is located within the mine lease.
Rio Tinto Alcan recognises the suspension of alumina production will have a significant impact on the local community and the company is working in partnership with the Northern Territory and Australian Governments, the broader community and Traditional Owners to identify initiatives to create new opportunities for the people of Nhulunbuy.
In May 2011, the historic Gove Traditional Owners Agreement was signed with Rirratjingu, Gumatj and Galpu Traditional Owners, the Northern Land Council and Rio Tinto Alcan. This was a momentous occasion for the entire community as it formally acknowledged Traditional Owners for the first time in the operation's history.
Ownership: 100% Rio Tinto Alcan
Number of employees: Post-curtailment of the refinery, approximately 400 employees and contractors
Gove Terminal Gate Price
11/04/2015 - Desiel
Gove Terminal Price: 1.25
All prices are stated in Australian cents per litre, and are inclusive of GST and subject to the following terms and conditions:
Terms and Conditions:
1. All prices are stated in Australian cents per temperature corrected litre.
2. Vehicles and drivers entering the Rio Tinto Alcan Gove terminal must have obtained Rio Tinto Alcan Gove site induction.
3. At times of shortage, Alcan Gove Pty Limited reserves the right to limit supply or to not supply.
4. The prices stated are subject to change at the discretion of Alcan Gove Pty Limited.
5. The statement of price does not constitute an offer of sale; rather it constitutes an invitation to treat.
6. All Sales of Diesel made otherwise than under contract must exceed 100,000 litres and are subject to condition 3 above.
Payment must be made in full prior to collecting product using telegraphic transfer (real time gross settlement).