- Our operations
Gove Operations bauxite mine and alumina refinery is located 650km east of Darwin in north east Arnhem Land on Aboriginal land. The operation is situated on extensive deposits of high grade bauxite, a burnished red ore with high aluminium oxide content.
Using the Bayer Process, the operation refines the ore into alumina before it is transported from our deep water port for smelting into aluminium. Gove produces more than 8.2 million tonnes per annum of bauxite, and 2.7 million tonnes per annum of alumina.
Gove Operations is the largest private employer in the Northern Territory.
In Gove's picturesque location on the edge of the Arafura Sea lies the unique mining town of Nhulunbuy, with a population of 4,500 and servicing a region of 16,500 people.
Each year the operation spends more than $300 million on local goods and suppliers and contributes more than $500 million to the Northern Territory's Gross Regional Product.
In May 2011, the historic Gove Traditional Owners Agreement was signed with Rirratjingu, Gumatj and Galpu Traditional Owners, the Northern Land Council and Rio Tinto Alcan. This was a momentous occasion for the entire community as it formally acknowledged Traditional Owners for the first time in the operation's history.
Ownership: 100% Rio Tinto Alcan
Number of employees: Approximately 1,400 employees and contractors
Products: Bauxite and alumina
Gove Terminal Gate Price:
Gove Terminal Price: 152.96
All prices are stated in Australian cents per litre, and are inclusive of GST and subject to the following terms and conditions:
Terms and Conditions:
1. All prices are stated in Australian cents per temperature corrected litre.
2. Vehicles and drivers entering the Rio Tinto Alcan Gove terminal must have obtained Rio Tinto Alcan Gove site induction.
3. At times of shortage, Alcan Gove Pty Limited reserves the right to limit supply or to not supply.
4. The prices stated are subject to change at the discretion of Alcan Gove Pty Limited.
5. The statement of price does not constitute an offer of sale; rather it constitutes an invitation to treat.
6. All Sales of Diesel made otherwise than under contract must exceed 100,000 litres and are subject to condition 3 above.
Payment must be made in full prior to collecting product using telegraphic transfer (real time gross settlement).