Being part of the solution
Climate change is one of the world's most pressing issues.
The aluminium industry generates greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the integrated production of aluminium products. Aluminium also reduces GHG emissions through its properties as one of the world's lightest, strongest and most recyclable materials.
By acting responsibly, we contribute to long term global sustainability. Demonstrating leadership in climate change:
- Strengthens our competitive advantage
- Ensures continued access to markets
- Safeguards our licence to operate
Meeting the climate change challenge also imposes costs on us for research and development as well as capital investments in technologies and processes.
Our climate change strategy
Our multi-pronged climate change strategy is based on identifying and addressing risks and capturing opportunities. It focuses on:
- Improving our energy efficiency
- Reducing emissions from our operations
- Helping develop sound and effective public policies
- Investing in zero and low emission technology research, development and deployment